11 March 2012

New York & New Jersey in the 70s and 80s

I remember being in jumpsuit in Clifton, NJ first thing in the morning ready to start the day climbing inside garbage trucks and cleaning them out. There were maggots inside who all moved left or right together, in sync, like a hive with some higher power controlling them all. There were sometimes rats. Even the garbage men with years of experience freaked out when they saw the rats. Big guys who looked ready for the UFC were terrified of the inside of these trucks and I would get in with a power washer and attempt to clean them out. I remember my father coming downstairs from the white collar office upstairs, seeing me in jumpsuit, taking a deep breath and saying, "there's nothing like the smell of garbage first thing in the morning!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Embedded Blog from Tumblr